A Peoples’ Candidate for a Peoples’ Christchurch
Decisions by us, for us, made here
At 10am this morning Keep Our Assets Canterbury announced that well-known political activist John Minto will be standing as the KOA candidate for Christchurch City Mayor in the coming local body election.
We are standing a candidate because we want to stop the council selling our city assets.
The proposed, imminent sale of City Care is a betrayal of Christchurch residents who have NEVER voted for asset sales.
We will have the debate the city should have had but was denied by the current council.
As well as stopping asset sales we have developed a series of bold policies to address the big problems faced by city residents. More details of these policies will be announced in due course but they include:
- Free and frequent public transport to all parts of the city.
- Building a minimum 1,000 extra council houses in the next three years.
- The living wage as the minimum pay rate for all council work – to be paid from reductions in senior management salaries.
- Ending the corporate stranglehold on the rebuild with steep rate increases on undeveloped land in the CBD.
- All Canterbury rivers to be swimmable (rather than “wadeable”)
As part of the announcement today we emphasised we are not standing a candidate to “wave the flag” on asset sales. We are standing to win the mayoralty.
The success of this campaign will depend on how many activists and supporters are able to give time and energy to support this campaign leading up the election on 8 October.
We are inviting all KOA supporters and those in the wider progressive movement to come to a campaign planning meeting on
Saturday 23rd July
10am to 12noon
59 Gloucester Street.
We are looking forward to seeing you on Saturday 23 July.