Kia ora to the campaign team and campaign supporters
A very heartfelt and personal thanks to everyone who helped out in so many ways on the Minto for Mayor campaign trail.
We were all surprised and delighted at the fabulous support through generous donations of money and expertise, many hours delivering leaflets, time on corners waving placards and help in so many other ways.
In total we raised about $20,000 in donations which enabled us to -
- Print 65,000 leaflets which were delivered to homes across Christchurch
- Produce and distribute 300 fence placards (100 each of three messages)
- Produce a small number of large billboards
- Broadcast dozens of 15s advertisements on commercial radio in the last two weeks of the campaign
- Produce badges, bumper stickers and T-shirts
- We were pleased that 12,500 Christchurch residents showed their trust and confidence in our campaign for me to lead the city.
I think the major success of our campaign has been to make it extremely difficult for the mayor and council to restart their asset sales programme. Our campaign has raised the political price for selling assets – in other words it is now an even more unpopular policy which I think the mayor and councillors will want to avoid.
We have also made other gains on issues like getting the government/council cost-sharing agreement out in the open and pledges from the mayor the city will be able to debate it.
Similarly we have helped change the public dialogue on other issues such as swimmable rivers, the living wage, high salaries for senior council managers and public transport.
These are all significant gains from the campaign and only possible because of your support.
Once again - Thank you all.
KOA (Keep our Assets Canterbury)
|Read the latest Newsletter|